No Cost Spay/Neuter ProgramPage Content
Effective immediately, The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services will begin accepting applications for the No Cost Spay/Neuter Program which provides free spay and neuter surgery for cats and dogs of eligible low income Calgarians.
“On September 1, we temporarily paused the program to handle the backlog of applications waiting to be screened,” said Bill Bruce, director of The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services. “Now that those demands have been met, we are ready to resume offering this very popular and important service with priority given to cats.”
To be eligible for this free program:
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the City of Calgary.
- The family household annual before-tax income must be no greater than 85 per cent of the Statistics Canada Low Income Cut-Offs (LICOs). "Proof of Eligibility" is required.
Pets eligible for spay or neuter surgery:
- Healthy cats and dogs.
- Kittens and puppies that are eight weeks old and weigh at least two pounds
- Female cats in heat.
- Pregnant cats and dogs. This is dependent on the health of the animal.
Note: For the health of your pet, we recommend that he/she is vaccinated by a veterinarian at least two weeks before surgery.
Pets that are not eligible for spay and neuter surgery:
- Unhealthy or contagious cat or dogs. This includes cats and dogs that are coughing, sneezing, have watery eyes, runny noses, mange or ringworm.
- Female dogs in heat. Spay one month after the dog's cycle is completed.
- Nursing cats and dogs. Spay four weeks after the litter has been weaned.
Services provided free of charge:
- Spay or neuter surgery for cats and dogs.
- Post operative painkillers
- Six month cat or dog licence
- Post-operative medication (at the discretion of the Animal Services Centre Clinic veterinarian)
- An Elizabethan collar (at the discretion of the Animal Services Centre Clinic veterinarian)
Expenses not included with the free surgery:
- Veterinarian care unrelated to the surgery.
To get an application form:
- Use the online application form.
- By phone: call 3-1-1 to have an application form mailed to you.
- In person: visit the Animal Services Centre located at 2201 Portland Street S.E. Monday to Friday between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. The Animal Services Centre is closed on statutory holidays.
Note: If you have more than one pet, you only need to submit one application form.
Before submitting an application, ensure that you have:
- Completed all sections of the application form
- Checked which Proof of Eligibility document you will be providing
- Included your Proof of Eligibility document with your application form
- Completed the Consent Form ONLY if you have selected to provide the Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment document as proof of eligibility
To submit an application:
Mail all your documents to:
No Cost Spay / Neuter Program
Mail code #36
P.O. Box 2100 Station M
Fax all your documents to: 403-268-1361
For more information or assistance in completing the application forms:
Length of the application process:
- The application will take two to four weeks to be processed.
- If you are not contacted within four weeks, please contact the program administrator at 403 268 6463 to inquire about the status of your application.
for all my calgary people wish i had seen this when i was living there sigh...WW